Thursday, March 11, 2010

Hearty Lentil Soup

This is truly one of my favorites, even my picky eaters love this.
I combine it with my Sooooooo Good Corn Bread.

3 carrots sliced
2-3 med. potatoes (opt.)
1 med. onion
1 garlic clove, minced
1 bay leaf
1 cup dry lentils
1 14 1/2-to 16-ounce can stewed tomatoes
1 tsp.
1/2 - 1 tsp. thyme leaves
1/4 tsp. pepper
1/2 lb. Kielbasa (I use sausage)
1 Tb. lemon juice
2 Tb. chopped parsley

In a 3-to 4-quart pan, cook carrots, next 9 ingredients, and 5 cups water, covered, 40-50 min. until lentils are tender. I add the vegetables about 1/2 way through cooking
Stir a few times during cooking.
Slice Kielbasa, stir into soup or add browned sausage.
Cook covered, 5 minutes. Stir in lemon juice.
Let stand 5 min. sprinkle with parsley (opt.)

No comments:

Post a Comment